You may develop allergy symptoms after getting a new pet. Or you may even find may feel yourself getting pet allergy symptoms even though you have had your cat or dog for several years already. For whatever it is, allergies can cause you ill health. Pet allergy symptoms include watery eyes, itchy skin or/and wheezing.
If your symptoms are severe and if medications are not helping, you can choose to give away your pet. But what if you are so attached to your pet that you cannot bear the thought of being without it? If this is the case, you need to decrease the dander to reduce your symptoms and make your home less susceptible to the allergens. Here are some tips for natural pet allergy relief:
1. Keep the pet out of your sleeping area.
2. Keep your pet off your furniture.
3. Bathe your pet at least once a week.
4. Have someone brush your pet daily outside. This can help to decrease the dander that it carries around in the house.
5. Consider making your pet an outside pet, rather than allowing it to live inside.
6. Vacuum carpets everyday and damp dust at least once a week.
7. Wash hands with soap and water after touching and playing with the pet.
8. Get an air purifier for your home that states that it removes airborne pet dander.
9. Choose hard flooring over carpeting. Carpeting traps the allergens, which can trigger off your pet allergy symptoms.
10. Other furnishings trap allergens, as well. These include drapes, curtains, and upholstery. Choose plastic, vinyl, or wood blinds over drapes for your windows. Leather and wood furniture are a great allergy-friendly choice for furniture.
Of course, if you already suspect that you have a pet allergy or are sensitive to certain allergies, choose wisely when selecting a pet. Some pets are considered more allergy-friendly than others. For instance, small birds or small dogs carry much less dander than their larger counterparts. Also, short-haired dogs would be a better choice than long-haired dogs.
Getting natural pet allergy relief is of prime importance especially if you decide to keep your pet. Drug medications may help but these may be something that you also do not want to depend on as there can be several side effects. The above tips for pet allergy relief can help you reduce your symptoms so that everyone including the pet can live harmoniously together. Getting control of pet dander can improve the quality of life at home and keep everyone happy.
Source by Evelyn Lim